Master Performer Eddie Madril wowed the students at Davidson Middle School as he performed sacred dances and spoke about the importance of understanding Native American history. Eddie, also a professor at San Francisco State University, talked about the Iroquois Confederacy which had operated since the 16th century and was the basis of the American constitution. He invited students up to the stage to learn some of the dances, and Principal Bob Marcucci was even game to join in learning some of the challenging, Hoop Dance.
In addition, Youth in Arts honored students in the Media and Theatre arts classes taught by Mentor Artists, Sophie Cooper and Margaret Hee, with a series of awards. The following were recognized:
Youth in Arts Awards
Cody Lucich Award for Confidence is given to students who exhibit a willingness to take risks and show confidence in their approach to making art. It is given to students who are undaunted in their approach to art-making and utilize innovative ideas to express themselves. Cody Lucich is a filmmaker who works extensively in community-based ‘Native media.’
- Luna Correa is a talented visual artist, with excellent drawing skills and unique imagination. She is always engaged and is able to connect what happens in the classroom with the broader community.
- Daisy Perez inspires the classroom with her positive attitude, leadership, critical thinking and inquisitive nature.
- Bradley Cornett is consistently engaged and is always ready to participate. He brings a positive attitude and maturity to class.
- Dayana Calderon is brave! She is always willing to voice her opinions, appreciative of others’ opinions, and engages positively and creatively in class.
Carrie Mae Weems Award for Compassion is given to students who are good listeners, who care about other people’s perspectives, and who demonstrate the potential to be a positive community-builder. Carrie Mae Weems is a photographer who also works with text, fabric, audio, digital images, and installation video.
- Aileen Beltran brings a positive attitude to class and is always willing to help others. She leads by example and has an artistic eye.
- Yanira Lucia Gonzalez is consistently dedicated and on task. She puts deep consideration into her work and appreciates the arts. She also helps other students with their work.
- Zandy Bautista has an excellent attitude. She always helps others and makes the room shine with her compassionate outlook.
Juana Alicia Award for Creativity is given to students who utilize their imagination to create exciting new ways to showcase their artistic voice. Juana Alicia, is a Bay Area muralist, printmaker, educator, activist and, painter.
- Yessica Mazariegos is an insightful visual artist. She is always on track, and has a calm presence in class.
- Jasmin Tlachi has a very creative eye for photography and has demonstrated artistic excellence in her work as a photographer.
- Harvin Sanchez has excellent drawing skills, which he brings to his storyboarding and storytelling through drawing.
- Alexis Alejandre has a very good eye for photography. She comes up with very original and creative ideas and is able to transform her mood by engaging in class work.
- Wilibaldo Baten-Rosas & Carina Cabrera are the best artistic collaboration!! Their work demonstrates an excellent, creative team.
- Jeffrey Mazariegos is an excellent photographer and demonstrates a creative use of perspective in his work.
- Ana Olvera is a highly engaged creative artist. She thinks deeply about her work and has a flare for working with the camera.
Lin-Manuel Miranda Award for Determination is given to students who are hard workers, determined and diligent about learning and making art. Lin-Manuel Miranda is an American composer, lyricist, playwright, and actor best known for creating and starring in the Broadway musicals In the Heights and Hamilton.
- Angel Mauricio is an eager participant who is inquisitive and brings a fresh outlook and positive attitude to class.
- Jorge Pech is not afraid to stand out as someone who cares and who has ideas and participates. He shines in the classroom with his courage and strength of character.
- Andy Romero is a good listener, consistently engaged, and a strong leader. His hard work has made him the most improved student in his class.
- Dave Mazariegos demonstrates creativity and positive engagement in class.
There are no photos with those IDs or post 16606 does not have any attached images! Thank you the California Arts Council for supporting this program.