This year in the Sausalito Marin City School District the arts specialists have been thinking about their roles, and what their goals are in the classroom.
Below are some important connections the teaching artists in the District are nurturing in the classrooms:
1. Artists make spontaneous and deliberate (planned out) decisions.
2. Artists learn and develop their work by addressing challenges as they arise.
3. Artists develop works of art through meaningful experiences with materials.
4. Artists thrive in a community that accepts risks and values multiple approaches.
5. Artists work responsively, not necessarily efficiently, often working on a project over a long period of time.
6. Artists use ideas as material.
7. Artists look at art and listen to music.
Reflection is an important time to look, learn, and discuss
Crafting strong Essential Questions is important to the teaching practice
Students are given t i m e to explore & experiment with materials
Creating an environment of wonderment is key